Monday, November 23, 2009

VAMC OMG!

i started my training at the veterans hospital today. i am going to be working as a social worker in the mental health unit. for the next two days i am just training (which thus far equates to filling out 50 pages of forms and taking online modules about computer security and diversity).

for a rural area, the hospital does a lot and actually serves a lot of people in "VISN region 19". we learned a lot about the (negative) history of the VA and how the whole system changed for the better in 1996.

everyone in my social work program is required to do a field practicum placement, 16 hours per week, usually unpaid. i landed this sweet gig for my internship and i am getting paid! wohoo!

my one fear? that my vocabulary is going to be taken over by acronyms (see title).

the front is the original building--with an floor added on and a labyrinth of new wings extending out. still a cool building to look at though!

4 comments:

Maryann said...

I can't wait to hear more about it! You are awesome.

DougieB said...

That's the VA in Cheyenne, correct? I once spent an afternoon lost in it's corridors attempting to find the correct room or doctor or whomever to examine my bum foot. A smiling person will do that place a lot of good!

Kathryn said...

Maybe you'll be able to make sense of some of the things Logan says now, if you understand acronyms!

SaraMia said...

I'm so excited for you! What a great opportunity!!! Next- pediatrics :)